Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Making Lemonade

There is an old adage that goes, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." And I am stirring my pitcher as we speak. AND I've added a little Bacardi to my brew. Because at times like these you've just gotta spike the punch. Yesterday afternoon, I was speaking to my seamstress, Alaina, about some of the details on the first sample for Fall 2010. It seemed like a normal enough conversation that we've had several times since we started working together this April past. But something happened. And I am not sure what. Because waiting in my email box early this morning was a "Dear John" message from her saying that she could no longer work with me. It sent me into a tailspin. What was I going to do? How could this happen to me - AGAIN? I left a voice message and sent an email begging her to reconsider. At the very least, I pleaded for her to finish the piece we discussed yesterday. Especially since she'd spent the entire Monday completing the preliminary pattern. But all my cajoling was for naught. Alaina is moving on with her life. And I've got to move on, too. So I called the number listed in an ad posted in my trade newspaper, Women's Wear Daily, that offered quick and efficient patterns and samples. Less than 5 minutes later, I was surrounded by sewing machines, cutting tables, and pattern pieces hanging from the ceiling at 7th Avenue Fashion Design. Amid the clutter and seemingly controlled chaos, George and I discussed construction, fabrication, and measurements as we dissected my sketch. We exchanged business cards and I assured him that I would return on Thursday with my new fit model, Ila, in tow. Time is something very precious that we all have very little of. I've got to make the most of what I have before January when we will be photographing the "Fine & Dandy" collection for Fall 2010. How I will pay for these samples is still a mystery, but I am stepping out on faith. Just like Alaina is starting anew, so must I. And after I finish this pitcher of liquid courage, I'll be ready to turn the page to the next chapter of my odyssey. Bottoms up!
Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment