Monday, October 12, 2009

Act 2: Scene 2

So today I met Roger. Roger is a handsome and very tall (6'5") gentleman who hails from the island of Jamaica. He says that he's been sewing as long as he can remember. And he picked up his skills from his mother when he was a young 'un. He's worked in retail here in the Big Apple for Marc Jacobs among others, but now has a private clientele that he sews and designs for. He and I first chatted online some time ago when he sent me a message after noticing that we were cut from the same cloth, so to speak. Although we dialogued cordially, we lost touch. This Saturday past when Roger saw me online again, he sent me a quick "Hello." Unfortunately, I had not taken my ginkgo that morning because Roger had to remind me that we had exchanged pleasantries some time ago. But we quickly picked up where we left off and the conversation transitioned to the telephone. Something resonated for me during our talk and once I looked at photos of his designs I thought there might be a real connection. I've always been the lone creative prong in our business and for quite a while I've secretly wanted to work with someone who shared a similar aesthetic. We would be able to bounce ideas off of each other and come up with designs that are doubly fantastic. Plus, Roger's sewing skills are off the hook. We would follow in the footsteps of other great fashion partners like Badgley Mischka and Lazaro Hernandez & Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler. After meeting Roger, it became clear to me that he might be the one to help elevate Sorta Kinda Enterprises to the next rung. Now I just have to convince my business partners that there is not only a need for another musketeer, but we could forge a clearer path with someone of Roger's caliber. Wish me luck!

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment