Monday, March 28, 2011

Meeting with my Peers

Writer, Daryl Sturgis
On last Wednesday, I met an old friend for lunch.  It seemed like forever since we'd seen each other, but once we started  chatting the time gap quickly closed.  Daryl (that's his name) was part of the life I shared with my ex-.  For some reason, a lot of the people from my past life are missing from my current existence.  I am not sure how that happens; it just does.  Anyway, Daryl and I were reminiscing about old times and catching up on the new stuff.  He is now a self-published author and blogger.  His writing style blows me away and I love his voice.  I haven't read his book yet, but I am going to have to get a copy to read in my spare time.  For those of you who cannot  commit to the time investment necessary for reading a book, follow his blog at http://darylsturgis.blogspot.com. It's thought provoking and insightful.  And it gives me the kind of motivation I need to finish my memoir.

Puttin' On The Ritz - Wilbur's Design
Last Thursday I met with my friend Brandon Atherley, stylist to the stars, to go over details for the construction of the look I've designed for the legendary entertainer/actress/singer.  The time is winding down before she takes the stage for her triumphant return to the spotlight and we needed to fine tune the details so that she looks nothing less that SMASHING.  Tomorrow we will begin to fit the garment on her body.  She's been such a pleasure over the phone and via email that I imagine our face-to-face meet-up will be like that of two old friends who haven't seen each other in a very long time.  I'm so psyched!

After Mr. B, as I often refer to him, and I finished with the minutiae of our collaboration we found ourselves discussing, oddly enough, the world of fashion.  I am sure the topic comes as no surprise, but what did surprise me is that we have very similar opinions where the fashion glitterati are concerned.  We are both attracted to the glamour and fabulousness of a world that includes Donatella Versace and Marc Jacobs and Stella McCartney.  But in the midst of such fashion royalty, the drawbacks of existing in that kind of universe are quite apparent.  Smoke & mirrors are only a part of the issue.  This world has a veneer of fakeness and also seems to thrive on bitterness.  Brandon has attended collections in Europe and I've attended some here in NYC and we've both observed how unpretty fashion can be.  So while we both sometimes wish to be mentioned in the company of such esteemed talent, we understand that being a part of that world means selling a piece of our respective souls to the devil.  And neither one of us are ready to make that deal. . .yet.

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment