Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Don't Hate!

Okay, so it is time for me to come clean.  Earlier in my career, not that long ago, I would analyze the careers of some of my more established colleagues.  And I'd compare their seemingly meteoric rise to fashion stardom with my plight as I continued to languish in fashion anonymity.  Struggling to find creative ways to finance my dream, my reality was the cause of much consternation.  How had the young cat with the curly hair made such a splash and become the new darling of Seventh Avenue?  Why wasn't it my creations that magazines and store buyers and celebrities spoke of so impassionately?  Secretly, I wanted all the adoration and riches that young designers like him enjoyed and the fact that I had been passed over plagued me.  I thought I was as talented, if not more so.  I had integrity.  And I listened to all the constructive criticism that was provided by industry vets.  But the brass ring was still handed off to others.  "Damn them," I thought.

As I get older, I get wiser.  Now, I no longer compare myself to anyone else.  My path is unique and it is all mine.  I realize that all the riches and blessings in store for me are meant for me.  And me alone.  The current darlings of Fashion Avenue may have surpassed me for the time being, but we all know who won that race between the tortoise and the hare.  And I don't feel like I have to measure myself against the golden children of fashion.  I just want to be my best.  No more hating!  And I am moving along at my own winning pace.

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment