Monday, March 22, 2010

This One's For You

So many times over the past 11 years, I have been encouraged and complimented on my fashions by family and friends. But whenever I hear someone praise my designs who is not related to me or who knows me personally, it is a real treat and an indicator that I've done something outstanding that I can be proud of. This Monday past, I received a lovely email from Marge who happens to be a curvy girl. She is dying to see the sketches that I created for Oscar nominee Gabourey Sidibe and admits that it is difficult to find flattering contemporary designs for the woman over a size 12 that are not frumpy or scream, "Here comes the fat lady!". And she really loved the dress I designed for the Mad Fashionista. Now I am about to let you in on a little secret. The dress that the Mad Fashionista received from me was not specifically designed for her. It was actually a design from my Fine & Dandy collection for Fall 2011. I made a minor adjustment by adding sleeves, but basically it was constructed exactly as I had designed it. So for all you larger lovelies who are reading this, just because you see a thin diva wearing a certain dress doesn't mean that it won't look good on you, too. The proof is in the pudding.

I honestly do love designing for women of every size. But the industry is segregated and you must do plus sexy (to borrow a term from my friend and fellow designer, Qristyl Frazier) separate from 0 -12. It confuses retailers and, unfortunately, alienates the small boned consumer if you offer a line, God forbid, in sizes ranging from 0-22. And maybe it's not smart, anyway. Each segment of the market comes with their own set of rules and demands. But I digress. Because Marge was so lovely and personable, I am going to finally share the sketches for Gabourey. I think I was holding back from the big reveal because it was an almost moment that did not materialize. I'd wanted to dress Gabourey for the Oscars SO badly and when it didn't happen I was really disappointed. And maybe this is the way for me to move on. So if you'd like to weigh in, then please leave a comment. Marge, this one's for you.

Peace & Fashion!




1 comment:

  1. All I can say is WOW! Gabourey would have looked wonderful in any of your designs! I especially love designs 2, 4, 5 and 6. Just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete