Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tell the Fat Lady to Keep Her Mouth Shut!

On Monday, in the early afternoon, James C. emailed us with a short list of amendments to the contract we had forwarded to him. If you are still keeping up with my odyssey, James is the British gentleman my partners and I met with last week about our sales position (http://iamfabulous-ablackfashiondudesodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/07/black.html). Contract negotiations can be tiresome, but they can also be entertaining. And you can really learn a lot about someone during this period. James's counteroffer wasn't obnoxious or absurd. In fact, I am positive we could have worked it out. That is except for one major point. James C. revealed that he would be back in England for three weeks during the month of September. September is a critical month for sales. It is when many stores from across the country, maybe even around the world, are in New York to see what's new in the market and to start planning their buys for the upcoming season. Since Wilbur is the little line that could, it is imperative that the person hired be present, focused, and prepared. So it was with sincere regret that I emailed James back and informed him that his absence during September was indeed a deal breaker. Immediately I scrambled to find another outlet in which my team and I could find the right sales person for our fledgling business. Although I had not thought of it earlier, LinkedIn seems to be the perfect site to connect with someone who will be able to work with us and our special needs. I am looking forward to hearing from all the candidates and learning about what makes them perfect for us. 'Cause it ain't over until the fat lady sings.




Peace & Fashion!

1 comment: