Wednesday, May 27, 2009

All That Glitters Is Not Fashion Gold

How many times have you invested in something or someone only later to find out that he/she/it was not what you expected? You had, in fact, been bamboozled - hoodwinked - misled. Well, my fashion followers, that recently happened to me. One of the seamstresses that I hired for my biggest project ever swears that she is the product of a couturier from Thailand and blessed with a gift for clothing construction. She also claims to have worked closely with Marc Bouwer, a designer known for his clingy, sensuous gowns that have graced the backs of R-n-B divas like Toni Braxton, Whitney Houston, and Patti LaBelle. Her expertise clearly went out the window while working with me because I got shoddy, unfinished workmanship and a poor fit. But thankfully I quickly recovered after realizing that I had been handed a chunk of fashion fool's gold. I called on some of my trusted tailors that I have been able to forge strong working relationships with and they went to work immediately and aborted a major disaster from happening. What has resulted is cocktail dresses that are as pristine on the inside as they are on the outside. And I am just blessed to be in the esteemed company of such gentlemen. Today was one of the last fittings with Valencia, the goddess. This journey has been a revelation and a lesson in resilience. And it has also provided me with a great opportunity to meet some really gifted and talented dressmakers. I look forward to working on many projects with the quiet dynamo, Alaina. And my Hispanic posse of tailors whom Valencia has dubbed The 252 Crew has been patient and proven themselves time and time again. I can forge ahead next season knowing that these people have got my back creatively. Sometimes you can make the wrong turn and discover that you've actually struck pure gold.

Peace & Fashion!

2 comments:

  1. Divo, i'm glad it worked out and sorry that you've had to deal with such flakes throughout your journey, but the strong survive and get stronger. BTW, I am FEELING that dress!! need to catch up withcha, but you're always on my mind dear. XO, J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES quiet dynamo, that's me. Now I'm going to dynamo back to your white zipper dress.

    ReplyDelete