Saturday, May 9, 2009

Valentino In The Movies

In the midst of a hectic schedule packed with model fittings and meetings with dressmakers, I somehow found the time to get to the cinema to see Valentino: The Last Emperor. I thought it would be an important film to watch if only just to witness the artistry of celebrated couturier Valentino Garavani. And I had Vaughn, whom I have mentored over 10 years now, join me. For fashion enthusiasts and designers alike this is a must see movie. It documents the planning of the legend's 45th year anniversay celebration as a fashion designer and his last 2 years in business before his retirement. The audience is given carte blanche access to Valentino's many homes, backstage at his runway spectacles, and his workrooms where his seamstresses work painstakingly by hand on gowns that will sell for several thousands of dollars. The movie is a cross between Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and Project Runway. Vaughn and I were enthralled by it all, but mostly we could identify with Valentino when he remarked that fashion is his life and he could not have imagined himself in any other career. Fashion is the air we breathe and the food we eat and the language we speak. I can only hope to have an illustrious career like his that spans several decades.
Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment