Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thankful

Earlier this evening I swapped ideas with Ray. If you'll recall, I met Ray at a birthday celebration for my friend Stephen last month. And after speaking with him over the phone, I immediately knew that he is a creative force to be reckoned with. Actually, many of you ladies have probably worn some of his fabulous shoe designs for Coach or Nine West. The thing about Ray that is most endearing is that there is no pretense or fakery. He is just a vessel for creativity whether he expresses himself through apparel, jewelry, shoes, or fine art. And in the fashion world that is a rarity. I know you've watched Project Runway, so you know a little about the cattiness. And since I really wanted to get some input on the fall collection I am cobbling together from someone whom I truly respect, Ray just fit the bill. So I showed him my inspiration board which is filled with images, i.e. the pocket chain watch, the spat, the bow tie, etc. which are motifs of the dandy look. I showed him my first sample and described the jewelry which I am also designing to enhance the theme. And he thought I was really on the right path. After I had shared my work, Ray showed me some of his clothing designs from his college days as well as his presentation boards of his shoe designs. And it all just blew me away. We definitely have a mutual appreciation for each other's aesthetic. And before rushing off to catch my train home, we have vowed to meet soon and check out the latest exhibits at the Cooper Hewitt Museum and The Museum at F.I.T. He is a kindred spirit in fashion and connecting with him is something I can truly be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment