Tuesday, November 3, 2009

When The Party's Over

If you've been reading, then you know my birthday was this past Halloween Saturday. And it was a marvelous celebration. I was treated to a Broadway show (Memphis), a Harlem gospelfest (Sing Harlem Sing!), and dinner at a fabulous Harlem-based soulfood boite (Billie's Black). And on Sunday, my boyfriend, mother, and sister pulled out all the stops when they invited my close friends to a dinner that they prepared in my honor. And I received numerous texts and phone calls and messages on Facebook that made me feel loved.



On last Thursday, I attended a different kind of birthday celebration in honor of my friend, Stephen E. This was his 2nd annual charity birthday bash at a lounge in Hell's Kitchen. Titled "Midgets & Cupcakes" (Stephen has a weird fascination with little people and he loves vanilla iced cupcakes), the proceeds from the evening were donated to the Ali Forney Center, whose mission is to help homeless Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender youth be safe and become independent as they move from adolescence to adulthood. It was a blast! And the evening also served as an introduction to a possible kindred fashion spirit. My sister & I noticed Ray S., who naturally stands out in a crowd, as he approached the bar. And we complimented him on his obvious talent with a make-up brush. It was then that we learned that Ray is a shoe designer by trade. But he also designs apparel, paints, is an amazing make-up artist, and can probably build houses, too! I am always excited to meet people who are passionate about their craft. And Ray certainly fits the bill. And because he and his partner have been together for 9 years, I know that he also possesses a stable character. I look forward to swapping ideas and learning from such a creative genius.

Although the party's over and I must begin to get back to reality, I do so with the understanding that I am truly blessed. I have great friends, an awesome family, and wonderful experiences that have enriched my life. And each day that I am alive, the possibilities are endless.

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment