Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Let's Get Away. . .



As I sit here with a laundry list of things that need to be completed to make my September launch of the Wilbur plus-size dress collection a success, what really stands out in my mind is my need to distance myself for a moment from the day-to-day grind.  Don't get me wrong, I am still a fashion-obsessed designer that sleeps, eats, and speaks creativity.  But I could certainly use a break.  A week and a half ago, when my baby brother was here for Father's Day, he announced that he would like to spend his 40th birthday in Hawaii with the entire family.  I am definitely down for that!  But it's not until December and it just cannot come fast enough.  Lately, every magazine I pick up has a piece on the Pacific paradise.  Elle Decor has these great photos of Waikiki complete with places you must visit and Departures features the right kind of things to wear while acting like an "Aloha" native.  Coincidence?  Probably.  Or the universe is dropping me subtle hints that Hawaii is a locale that I need to revisit.  And fairly soon.  My mother took me during the summer of 1986 before I returned to college.  We went with my aunt and my cousin.  That was when I had hair and learned that a luau was the best kind of party comprised of unlimited Blue Hawaiian cocktails.  I've already put my time in at the plantation and so now it is Hawaii or bust.  For now, I bide my time.  Patiently, I suppose.
On Monday, I met with one of my fit models, DeeDee, and my seamstress, Victoria, for our first fitting.  I can no longer squirm out of my commitment to this new venture because it is really underway.  And I keep on getting a positive return of energy.  DeeDee was a doll.  And the site of the dresses on her made me smile as they have begun to take shape.  It really doesn't matter if I am dressing a woman who is a size 4 or a size 14 or a 24.  There is a giddiness that takes over my soul when I see something I dreamed up come to life.  I am sure it's like that for every designer, but since this is my blog I am going to act like it's all about me.  Too focused on the matter-at-hand, I forgot to snap photos of the experience.  But when these dresses are complete, I promise to share the raw footage.  DeeDee so believed in my talents that she saw fit to make an introduction to a business associate.  While I wait for a response from this connection, I am reminded of my sister's words last week.  This is going to be a success.  Just wait and see!

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment