Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Don't Fit Into Your Box

It's business as usual as I plug on with my plan for fashion world domination.  With love and respect to all the big girls, my focus is to elegantly demonstrate that beauty is not about a size.  Because I have seen ugly in a size 2.  But I've also seen it all the way up to a 22.  Really.  Wilbur is more about tapping into the sexier, more confident, more fabulous side of the size 14 or higher set.  Since I've been casting for the photo shoot and our big event in September, I've met a dozen or so models who do not fit into society's narrow definition of beauty.  And these women have been gorgeous on the inside and out.  I know I've heard people, especially women, on more than one occasion say, "Oh, she has such a pretty face. . ."  And I am just sitting there waiting for them to finish the sentence with ". . .but her body is a HOT mess."  I am not condemning anyone because I may have shared the same thought at times myself.  But it's time for us to change our perception.  The model industry has celebrated all kinds of quirky and gawky looking women and elevated their flaws to celebrity status.  Remember Lauren Hutton's famous gap-toothed smile or the odd looking Penelope Tree.  Why haven't they pushed for a beauty who is the same size as the average woman?  Sure there is Emme, but how about all the other curvy cuties who exist?  And it seems like the extremely thin ones are being manufactured conveyor belt style at some plant on Venus.

My sister recently gave me a book to read called Such A Pretty Fat. It's a hilarious look at a big girl's battle with the bulge.  In the end, the heroine doesn't downsize to skinny girl status, ala Jennifer Hudson, but she becomes a healthier, more fit big girl.  Although the focus is dieting, anyone who has ever struggled to reach a goal can identify with the story.  And I think it just challenges us to see the humanity in everybody.  And that's something I can get behind.  My sister, Ashanti, had the opportunity to meet the author, Jen Lancaster, when she was in New York promoting her latest published tale and she told me that she is just as animated and entertaining in person.  Someone who is talented and has the ability to make me laugh who is also quite pretty sounds like the complete package to me.  So now, Jen Lancaster has become my girl crush.

I've gotta go, but I will be back soon.  And if you pick up Jen Lancaster's book, holla back and let me know what you think.  I guarantee it will have you in stitches.

Peace & Fashion!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! I LOVE THE NEW LOOK OF THE BLOG...THE COLORS...THE DIRECTION. I am so excited for you! And, when you have some down time (he, he...) how 'bout you get started on "that" book. Your words dance on the page...reminds me of an Augusten Burroughs type, but of fashion: http://www.augusten.com/site/index.phpis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Rebecca! What should I write about?

    ReplyDelete