Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Renewing My Vows

After several years, marriages are often subjected to a little wear and tear. And it is necessary for you and your mate to engage in activities that rejuvenate and strengthen the bond. Maybe it's a good idea to have a date night and hire a babysitter to watch the kids while you go out like you used to when you were "courting"? Or maybe plan a weekend getaway to that cozy little bed and breakfast that was recently reviewed in your local newspaper? Yesterday I had my date with fashion. And I am happy to say that I am re-committed to her. Long before fashion design had roped me into this matrimonial roller coaster, I would take a weekly jaunt to Bergdorf Goodman, the very tony Fifth Avenue shopping emporium in Manhattan. There I would blissfully caress the garments that lined the clothing racks inspecting the finishes and the fabrications of each piece. I found myself awestruck by the boundless creativity of each designer's confection. I believe those moments were as close to heaven as I could be. When I decided to commit to a career in fashion design those weekly outings stopped. Bombarded with problems that quickly needed to be solved, I no longer had the time nor the inclination to visit Bergdorfs. Yesterday standing in front of the large windows of the store's facade, I was whisked away to another time as I gazed upon a slinky jersey gown designed by CD Greene. I was beckoned to step inside and get a closer look. And as I wandered through the evening gown salon on the 4th Floor, I remembered why I am married to fashion. Quite simply, I love it. And sometimes you've got to plan that date night to be reminded that renewing your vows and reconnecting is absolutely necessary for a long-term relationship.
Peace & Fashion!

1 comment: