Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What Are You Doing For FashionWeek?

As a fashion designer, I am asked "What are you doing for fashion week?" dozens of times in the days leading up to Fashion Week. But the truth of the matter is, this week is not as fashion-y as it could be. Sure, I cavorted around Manhattan last Thursday for Fashion's Night Out - the opening day of fashion week. But it's been decidedly low-key for the BlackFashionDude. Years ago, I was front and center at Bryant Park parading my models on the sidewalk outside the tents in an effort to elicit attention from passersby, as well as the fashion press and fashion's elite. And they definitely took notice. But it wasn't the kind of publicity that was bankable. So that's why I had to change my strategy. I've written more about Market Week recently. It begins next week and store buyers from all over the country, perhaps the world, will be visiting my fair city to look at collections and, hopefully, place orders. After all, this fashion endeavor is not only about indulging in my passion to create beautiful clothes; I also need to get PAID. And then at some point in the near future, I will be able to give the plantation my walking papers. But I am not so focused that I have forgone my need to delight in a little fashion frippery and frivolity during this week. So on Monday evening, I went to a show hosted by Hauteaholics Anonymous. Not too long ago I'd read about this organization that sponsors a runway show each season featuring the work of emerging fashion designers. I was curious to see what it was all about. Because if the show brought in all the "important" destiny-changing fashion figures, I would need to sign up asap. Unfortunately, it did not, but it was loads of fun. And I got to see more work from Erna Leon who also participated in the Supima Cotton Runway Challenge I did last summer.

Tomorrow night I will be in the crowd at BoConcept furniture store which is hosting a runway presentation. Vaughn Jereaux, the young man I've mentored over the past 9 years, will be showing his collection of frocks. It is the final day of fashion week. For me, the real challenge awaits next week.
Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment