Monday, March 9, 2009

Genesis

Many years ago, over 11, I decided to start my own clothing line. What led up to that a-ha moment is a story for another time. But for now, let's just say that the universe supported my creativity. I christened the line Sorta Kinda because it was part of a phrase I had come up with to describe a girlfriend's oh so fierce new hair weave and my then boyfriend thought it had a nice ring to it. Naturally, I was very excited when I scampered off to one of those federal buildings in downtown Brooklyn on July 29, 1998 and filled out the paperwork for sole proprietorship. It was official! I could see my future unfolding like the movie with the classic "feel-good" Hollywood ending. I was going to set the world on fire, rise to become fashion's next darling, and have women across the U.S. chanting my name as they posed on sidewalks and red carpets wearing my clothes. The question on every woman's lips would be, "Versace, who?" Was I delusional, suffering from feelings of grandeur, or just green? Well it's 2009 and that has not happened, yet I am still in the game.

Fast forward to today, my business partner, Serosh, came up with this fantastic idea to create an accessory that would compliment our tops that we hope to bring to market this spring. I came up with this concept called "tee-bags" that would include a tote and a wristlet style. It's gonna be H-O-T! But right now we are faced with drama from our manufacturers overseas. First, our order was too small so a couple of manufacturers turned us down. They said it wasn't worth their time. Now we've got this French dude who says he can make it happen for us, but then disappears for days at a time without so much of a word. Wassup with that?! Everyday we are learning, but, damn, I am sick of the classroom! All I want now is to have those bags for sale at skwilbur.com. Whoever came up with the saying "Patience is a virtue" must have had me in mind. And since I am being SO virtuous, then you must be too. That's it for today, but check in from time to time just to see where I am in my odyssey. And if you feel like dropping me a line, then post something. Please, NO APPLAUSE! Just kidding. . .



Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment