Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Queens Fashion Week

Queens gets a bad rap. Sometimes I even do my part to borough bash. I've complained to friends and frenemies alike that Queens is provincial & unsophisticated. But Queens is where I grew up and where I returned once I left Brooklyn. So it's definitely home to me. My fellow fashion designer friend, Delali, was so tired of Manhattan and Brooklyn getting all the glory, that this year she founded Queens Fashion Week. "Wilbur, there is plenty of talent right here and we need to provide a platform for people to see that," she declared. So she asked me if I would stand together with her. How could I say no? So Queens Fashion Week will take place from February 11 to February 13 in tandem with the much publicized Mercedes Benz sponsored New York Fashion Week. And I will have models storming the runway when I open the show on Saturday February 13 at the historic Standard Motor Lofts on Northern Blvd in Long Island City. For those of you who have been completely shackled to Manhattan, that's only a hop and a skip away from Times Square. The event is to begin promptly at 7 p.m. And everybody is welcome to attend, as our event is not an exclusive invitation-only spectacle. So for everyone who secretly has a bit of "Devil Wears Prada" attitude and cannot wait to unleash their version of Miranda Priestly, this is the moment you've been waiting for. But make sure you get your tickets soon because you'll want to be front and center. Today I was even interviewed by phone for an article in one of the local Queens newspapers, The Chronicle. The reporter asked, "What makes Queens so special for fashion?" And I quickly answered that this presentation is going to showcase the individual talents of many home grown designers who may not have the funds to show across the bridge but are just as legitimate as a Carolina Herrera or a Narciso Rodriguez. We've all got to start somewhere. And I am proud to say that Queens is my beginning.

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment