Thursday, December 10, 2009

O' Christmas Tree

'Tis the season for tidings of good cheer, but this week I've been jammed with more year end hustle and bustle than I am accustomed to, so I've been too worn out to impart much mirth and merriment. Besides dressing women, I've also taken on the task of dressing my tree. And although I've been in charge of tree decor over the last few years, this year I decided to try something a little different and make it a Kwanzaa Christmas. For those of you who have no idea what Kwanzaa is, it is a week-long celebration held in the United States honoring African heritage and culture. It is observed from December 26 to January 1 each year, primarily in the U.S. The impetus for me to declare this a Kwanzaa Christmas was the angel tree topper my mother bought so many years ago. Made out of African Kente cloth with raffia wings, she is a vision to behold. But her look clashed with the silver, gold, & white color scheme I've been rocking for the last couple of years. I grew tired of watching the kente clothed angel collect dust and wanted to get her back on top of our family tree. So I got all Martha Stewart and decided to create ornaments using Styrofoam balls from the local arts and crafts store covering them in kente. But my obsession, like Martha's bank account, grew and I couldn't stop with just the tree ornaments. So now I have my sister knitting Christmas stockings that I will cuff with kente, I've refashioned my wreath with a kente bow, and our table in the dining room where the tree stands will be draped in green silk dupioni accessorized with a kente runner and place mats. In the meantime, between trying to figure out what to give my niece, nephew, and goddaughter for Christmas and cracking the whip across my tailor's back as he finishes up 3 samples, I've got to figure out a clever package to send to julib.com since you were kind enough to nominate me for a style award. I am also inquiring about the feasibility of participating in New York Fashion Week. It's going to take a lot of volunteer elves to make that happen. And we are also in the process of following up with Gabourey Sidibe's L.A. based stylist to see if there is a chance that we will be dressing her for any event during the awards season. You know it's hard out here for a pimp! But I do find a few quiet moments to stand in the dining room and admire my beautiful and magical tree. Season's Greetings. . .


Peace & Fashion!

1 comment:

  1. You are PERFECT for Gabourey Sidibe! I can only imagine the magic dress you could create for you, having seen your private stock on various women of all sizes. My beautifully manicured fingernails are crossed!

    ReplyDelete