Monday, May 3, 2010

The Time Has Come

This weekend I did some serious soul searching. The catalyst for which was a very lengthy and introspective phone conversation I had with my friend Alexandre, the successful art gallery owner and purveyor of fine contemporary Russian art. An article published in this past Saturday's New York Times about the disappointing demise of Michelle Obama design darling Maria Pinto's business also contributed to my weekend of reflection. It forced me to take a closer look at my life. And I must, somehow, come to terms with the fact that my circumstances may have hindered my chances to be a successful fashion business owner. I've known from the beginning that I've had more than my share of handicaps. The business is severely under capitalized. I do not possess the technical skills like sewing and pattern making which might have made a small difference for my success. And I do not know the "right" people who would have catapulted my line to star status. But I always felt that the universe was speaking positively to me regarding my fashion odyssey. And it was telling me to keep on, persevere, and my monetary rewards were just on the horizon. Now 12 years later, I am unsure and tired. But I have given myself a year to give it the old college try. I need to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat. And I am hoping that my plus size design endeavor is that magic trick. But if it's not, I will reinvent myself and become something more fabulous. Hey, if Madonna is the poster child for reinvention, then I certainly can become the postcard version!

Peace & Fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment